posted: Aug. 02, 2021.
School may be out, but that doesn’t mean the learning has to stop. At NextGen Foot and Ankle Care Centers, we are all about educating our Glendale patients about their feet and how to take the best care of them. But there are also lots of interesting facts about feet, and here are a few we’d like to share:
- Your feet are amazingly complex structures! They each contain 26 bones, 33 joints, 19 muscles, 10 tendons, and 107 ligaments.
- Sweaty feet shouldn’t be a surprise. Your feet have 250,000 sweat glands capable of producing up to ½ pint of perspiration a day.
- There are more nerves per square centimeter in your feet than any other part of your body–approximately 8,000 to be exact.
- The average person walks about 115,000 miles throughout their life. That’s the equivalent of circling the globe nearly 5 times.
- The Achilles tendon is the strongest in your body–it’s also the most injured.
- It’s not uncommon for one foot to measure larger than the other–you should always buy shoes to accommodate the bigger foot.
- Women are four times more likely than men to suffer foot problems due to the detrimental effects of wearing high heels for extended periods.
- It takes 12-18 months to grow a new toenail completely.
- When running, your feet absorb the pressure of up to 5 times your body weight.
Now that you know all these impressive facts about your feet, we hope you’ll be even more motivated to keep them healthy. If you are experiencing pain or unusual symptoms in your ankles or feet, make an appointment at our offices in Glendale (818) 416-3668, South Pasadena (818) 779-6140, or Glendale (818) 756-3338 so that our podiatrists, Dr. Samvel Keshishyan, Dr. Samvel Keshishyan, and Dr. Samvel Keshishyan, can examine your feet and find a prompt solution to bring you relief.